Published on March 20, 2013 by Admin

CAMP PENDLETON – Camp Pendleton artillery units are scheduled to fire a ceremonial 21-gun salute at the Pacific Views Event Center between 4:30 and 5:00 p.m. Saturday, March 23. The firing is part of a ceremony commemorating the landings on Iwo Jima during World War II.

The center is located at the southeastern part of base, near Interstate 5 and the base’s main gate.

Depending on atmospheric conditions, the sound may be amplified and heard up to 50 miles away.

The Battle of Iwo Jima took place between February 19 and March 29, 1945. More than 6,000 Marines and sailors were killed during the fighting. The famous flag raising on Mt. Suribachi took place during the battle.

For future inquiries regarding increased noise levels, please refer to the weekly noise advisories posted on the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton Web site at

27 Responses to Camp Pendleton to commemorate Iwo Jima landings on March 23, noise may be heard as far as 50 miles away

1. Phil Reply

March 20, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Go Marines

2. Norma Reply

March 20, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Yes Go Marines

3. resident Reply

March 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Another complete waste of taxpayer $$$.

4. Pink Reply

March 21, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Oh well of course Resident, why would we want to commemorate over 6000 sailors and Marines who gave their lives so that you could have the freedom to make a total dufus of yourself. I say, rest in peace to these heroes. Go Marines!! OO-RAH.

5. another opinion Reply

March 21, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Nobody is saying that there should be no commemoration of the Iwo Jima landings. Or are you really that stupid Pink?

6. grunt Reply

March 22, 2013 at 7:21 am

@resident – yes, commemorating, remembering our history is such a waste of money – we sould just forget it, put all our money into things the President likes- paying off voters, "investing" in his donors, supporting "Arabic Spring", funding the anti-christian, anti-US new goverenemnt of egypt.

7. Really?? Reply

March 22, 2013 at 8:45 am

@Comment#5; Resident makes a statement saying that it is a complete waste of money to commemorate Iwo Jima casualties, Pink calls him (or her) on it and you call her stupid?? Somebody here is stupid, but it obviously isn’t Pink.

8. Redneck Bill Reply

March 22, 2013 at 9:20 am

To another opinion:

Actually resident said the commemoration of the Iwo Jima landings is a complete waste of taxpayer money, which suggests to me he is opposed to it.

That’s OK. All of us are entitled to our opinion.

But commemorating heroic events–events that claim lives for the greater good of all of us, events that seem impossible to overcome–these events challenge us all to live up to that standard if presented the chance. So these commemorations benefit us all.

And Pink will be on here shortly to tear you a new one, but she’s Ms. Pink to you.

9. Pink Reply

March 22, 2013 at 9:40 am

Thank you RB. You said it better than I could.

10. another opinion Reply

March 22, 2013 at 2:37 pm

The entire article was about a 21 gun salute and noise that can be heard up to 50 miles away. Feel free to hone up on your reading skills. I’ve also read Pink’s opinions on this site for several years now and I stand by my opinion that she says dumb things.

11. retired Reply

March 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Lets quit calling people names and use the time to honor our vets, and rememeber many gave their lives for their country.

12. Pink Reply

March 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Retired is absolutely correct, the article was about honoring our fallen heroes. Another opinion and resident made it about "them". Somehow hearing the 21 gun salute up to 50 miles away causes "them" undo stress and they evidently have to pay taxes on it as well. Stand by your opinion of me all you want to "another opinion". It’s a free country. BTW can you actually walk and chew gum at the same time?

13. Lee Reply

March 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I think there’s really better ways to do this. Why does the entire community have to be forced into participating in this stuff is beyond me.

14. @lee Reply

March 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

After reading your comment it sounds like you should be used to things being "beyond" you.

15. Laughing Out Loud Reply

March 22, 2013 at 9:01 pm

This has to be the most blatant example of the "Dumbing down of America." Steve Allen was right. People like Resident, Another Opinion, and Lee have absolutely no common sense. They have no idea of the sacrifices it took to make this great country.

16. Camp Pendleton Reply

March 23, 2013 at 6:27 am

Resident please come attend the event…there are few surviving vets from iIwo Jima.

17. momz Reply

March 23, 2013 at 7:46 am

Sounds of Freedom!!! God Bless our men and women that fight for us. Why can’t we just say Thank you instead of complaining about a few noises that will go away while we still have people giving up there lives for our freedom. God Bless America.

18. hmmmm Reply

March 23, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I live a couple miles from the southeast gate and just a minute ago heard a faint noise, other than that its been quiet all afternoon. I was expecting something much louder.

19. Lee Reply

March 24, 2013 at 8:46 am

And then let us ONCE AND FOR ALL learn that war is wrong!

20. Book of Revelations Reply

March 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

Yes war is wrong. Obviously. But as long as man is what he is they will continue. Perhaps you should write a letter about how evil war is to the editor of papers in, lets say, North Korea or Iran. Oh wait, you can’t. Get the idea? There will always be someone with a god complex who wants to be emperor.

21. Lee Reply

March 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Book of revelations #20, you’re right: that someone with the God complex . . . is us, the U.S., who invades countries illegally, creates havoc for those countries through war, installs puppet dictators, steals and plunders resources from those nations, executes the opposition, etc.

You are right indeed.

22. Book of Revelations Reply

March 24, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Well Lee, since you actually believe "we" are the bad guys I think you should look into moving to North Korea. I believe that you and Kim Jong-un have quite a bit in common and would get along famously. I’m not foolish enough to believe that our country is perfect, we have proven time and again, that we are not, but those of you who live here and take our freedoms for granted should actually try living in a country where speaking your mind could get you imprisoned for life or executed, so yes, in your words Lee, I am "right indeed", there is NO free press in North Korea, Iran or several other countries that could be listed. You just don’t get it.

23. Lee Reply

March 24, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Book of Revelations #22, well then, why don’t you let me/others speak my mind then? That’s the fallacy that chuckleheads like you never understand.

Simply because somebody, i.e., I, do not agree with your point of view and express it means, according to you, that I should move to a country like North Korea?

It is YOU who would love the North Korean regime for it is YOU who tells somebody to get the heck out of our country the instant you come across somebody who has a different opinion than yours.

PS. You TRULY believe that we have freedom of press . . . not to mention expression and speech in America? I HIGHLY recommend that your re-read the First Amendment!

24. Book of Revelations Reply

March 25, 2013 at 8:40 am

Seriously Lee, you aren’t wrapped real tight are you? Nowhere and I mean nowhere did I say that you didn’t have the right to free speech! My point was, and is, that here in the good old USA you DO have the right to express any opinion that you wish, no matter (to quote you) how “chuckleheaded” it may be. I also pointed out, rather clearly, that you might want to try living in a country where you have NO freedom of speech, I never said you had to go! Goodness you have issues. By all means, stay here and enjoy all our freedoms while decrying the very democracy that gives you the freedom to do so. I personally think that Kim Jong-un is questionable and unfortunately he has a hand on a nuclear weapons button. My whole point, which appears to have zoomed right over the top of your head, is that, warts and all, America is still a pretty good place to live all things considered, and that wars have been fought since time began and will continue right into Armagedden. Have a nice day.

25. Book of Revelations Reply

March 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Okay Village News, I get it, if you had to change what I originally called Kim Jong-un to something else more politically correct couldn’t you have found a better adjective than "questionable"? I mean calling him questionable is like say Adolph Hitler wasn’t a very nice guy. How about we change questionable to crackpot dictator?

26. Lee Reply

March 25, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Book of Revelations, IF you TRULY believe that I and everybody else has the freedom of speech to say anything they want, well then why did you say ANYTHING to even remotely curtail that?!

THAT’S my point, cool?

And PLEASE spare me your patronizing point that I have issues, cool? Can you explain to me what an “issue” is? What does that even mean? The ONLY issue I have is that I have EVERY right to speak my mind and EVERY American also, cool?

27. Seriously Reply

March 25, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Let me get this straight Lee. You believe that your freedom of speech was somehow curtailed because "book of revelations" voiced his (or her) opinion?? How does that work? I think maybe you do have some issues, otherwise why would you get your boxers in a twist because someone had an opinion different than yours. Sounds like typical ultra left wing double speak to me. I read all the comments, not twice, but three times, and seriously no one, certainly not BOOK curtailed anybodies freedom of speech. That is ludicrous Lee. Perhaps you don’t understand what freedom of speech actually means. By the way Book of Rev, I would love to know what you actually called Kim J-U. I’ll bet it was good!!