Published on May 20, 2014 by Admin

SAN DIEGO – The San Diego County Board of Supervisors today (May 20) adopted an amendment to the county code to prohibit the use of electronic smoking devices in places where tobacco smoking is banned, including public

buildings in unincorporated areas and parks.

Electronic cigarettes vaporize nicotine in a liquid solution, and the smoker inhales vapor rather than tar and other harmful compounds in tobacco.

A UC study, however, recently concluded that vapor from e-cigarettes trigged defense mechanisms in MRSA, or Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, making the already hard-to-kill superbug harder to kill. Critics also have questioned the safety of flavorings added to nicotine solutions.

The battery-operated devices, which are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, can be bought online and in convenience stores and smoke shops.

Critics have called electronic cigarettes a gateway to tobacco smoking.

Supervisor Bill Horn agreed that electronic cigarettes were a “good tool to get people to quit smoking,” but the county should “protect the public in public spaces.’

Pat Meyer of San Diego, who used an electronic smoking device to help quit smoking three years ago, agreed with the supervisors that smokers who reduce or eliminate their exposure to tobacco should be applauded.

Smoking should not be re-normalized, Meyer said, and the use of e-cigarettes by minors should be prohibited. Like smokers, “vapers” should be considerate of others.

“Bans do nothing to inform anyone,” Meyer said. “Teaching the realities of vaping can be difficult — highly publicized distorted allegations have resulted in public demonization. Many have already closed their minds to information that might stimulate reassessment.”

In March, the Board of Supervisors agreed to regulate the devices and added them into the Tobacco Use, Prevention and Cessation program. The restrictions will take effect in 30 days.

Supervisor Ron Roberts stressed that the regulations would not put electronic smoking devices out of business, but would only limit where they could be used.

“If people want to use it to stop smoking, God bless them, but they’re just not going to be able to do it everywhere,” Roberts said.

23 Responses to County supervisors vote to treat e-cigarettes like tobacco; will be prohibited where smoking is banned

1. Ruth Noyes Reply

May 20, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Dear Mr. Horn,
    I do not smoke. Today you want to protect the public, (obviously from themselves,) with regard to vapor from e-cigs, not smoke, so what did I miss? When did ‘the public,’ become unable to protect themselves?? You know I need to lose weight, so are you going to ban twinkies tomorrow, because I am so not giving up my twinkies! I mean it.
    Oh and Mr. Roberts, why is that you guys get to say GOD bless this person or that event whenever you want to, however, when GODLY men and women want to incorporate GOD into their daily public lives our politicians tell us we must be politically correct? You guys are really Democrats, aren’t you? I thought so. No twinkies for you and I was gonna share too if you lifted that ban…not now though. Since I have already offended everyone, just as much as I am offended by this nonsense, I would have addressed you as Supervisors, however, I am a full grown woman and I don’t need supervision. Heeeey though, thanks for watching over me and God Bless all ya all!!

2. Me Reply

May 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I have numerous friends who have quit smoking after decades….thanks to those e-cigs.

Dumb move.

3. Resident04 Reply

May 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I am pleased to know that vaping is being made more difficult for the people that choose to use that crutch. I don’t like smoking of any kind, fake or not. It is unhealthy and offensive. E-cigarettes still contain nicotine, which leads to tobacco addiction. That has made smoking the number one cause of preventable death. And the e-cigarettes contain chemicals not normally inhaled. The FDA detected diethylene glycol, a toxic chemical used in antifreeze, in some e-cig samples and carcinogens called nitrosamines, formaldehyde and metal particles. I feel very justified in sending smokers of ANY kind outside, away from the general public.

4. Lee Reply

May 21, 2014 at 1:07 pm

YES! Finally, our politicians got something right.

So, thank you, politicians! (Holy cow, did I actually just say that?)

5. Ssssssssmokin Reply

May 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Lee –
    "Smokers, go smoke in YOUR space and don’t give the rest of us cancer. If YOU want to get cancer, knock yourselves out. But the rest of us have EVERY right to protect ourselves from a wrong, i.e., second-hand smoke."

Electronic cigarettes do not produce smoke. There is no 2nd hand smoke. You sound silly.

I smoked a pack a day for 15 years, and quit cold turkey thanks to my e-cig. That being said, I do agree that they should be harder for minors to purchase and should fall under FDA regulations. There should be more testing done to ensure the product is as safe as possible. Banning use of them in public doesn’t make any sense.

6. Resident04 Reply

May 22, 2014 at 12:32 am

Ssssssssmokin #5. Don’t get in Lee’s face. There are NO long term studies that say whether or not the disgusting vapors that come from ecigs are deadly or not. Until that is proved beyond a shadow of doubt, keep them out of the public, away from those of us who do not smoke and find it a filthy, repulsive, selfish habit. I sincerely applaud your success in quitting. I am happy that you are not jeopardizing the lives of everyone around you anymore with a conventional cigarette, but until it is proven to me that ecigs are in the clear….I don’t want them anywhere near me or near anyone else in my family.

7. DR DR Reply

May 22, 2014 at 11:50 am

I, being the driver of a car with a vapor-er beside me puffin, I don’t even smell it, let alone inhale anything. Crack the window on their side –

AND MY CAR DOESN’T HAVE ANY HINT of a smell. It is actually awesome how clean they are.

8. Me Reply

May 22, 2014 at 1:52 pm

@Resident04.

It is "Propylene Glycol" not "diethylene glycol"

Disgusting vapors? You sound like a complete anti-smoking zealot. Although I never smoked in my life…you people are worse.

9. The time is now Reply

May 23, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I’m offended and disgusted by people exhaling CO2 in my town. CO2 has been PROVEN to be a greenhouse gas. This hot weather and fires are a PROVEN result of your. breathing. I’m donating to all you politicians that will stand up for me and ban all you people from exhaling your filthy breath in Fallbrook.

10. Ray (the real one) Reply

May 24, 2014 at 12:42 pm

The Time is Now:

Seems your emitting your own fair share of greenhouse gasses, I don`t see anyone here telling you to keep your gasses to yourself.

Me: I VAPE and it helped me end my decades addiction to those cancer sticks. Your right it`s either vegtable glycerine, propylene glycol, nicotine and simple flavorings you can get freely to flavor cakes, I make my own.

The additction here is nicotine, not the smoke which is harmless vapors, what the problem here is not health, second hand smoke, it`s bucks, a new product in which to tax.

In order to justify a tax, first you must demonize it, scare alot of folks than nobody will complain when it`s taxed. Who really cares if I can`t vape in the Vista Courthouse, always outside.

Well it`s the old liberal song and dance for $$$ once again. Do they care that this product will save thousands of lives every year? nope,

11. Ray (the real one) Reply

May 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I have always been a "freedoms and rights" person, my stance on many issues like school taxes is just one example. I believe this…. Where do my rights end and yours begin?

Living in California all these years, I have seen individual rights blurred, here it`s a constiturtional right for my neighbor to let his or her dog use my lawn, whereas it`s not my right to have a nice lawn.

If I started a business, let`s say a bar and I had a sign clearly posted, "this is a smoking establishment" why would I be breaking the law. Nonsmokers have the right not to patronize my establishment, my customers smoke, why can`t I have the right to establish a business and make money?

Be different if my sign said (not in Fallbrook, signs are verboten), no gays, minorities, midgets or left handed people, would that be illegal, some like I would say no but in all fairness I myself would not post such a sign

It`s all about your freedoms being taken away, don`t you get it?

12. Ray (the real one) Reply

May 24, 2014 at 1:05 pm

California is suppose to be the land of freedoms and liberal thought, I can still remember the signs, "no hippies allowed" in Encinitas, Del Mar, Solana Beach and throughout California…..

13. grunt Reply

May 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Ray – you have claimed satiric license before – most recently in the attack on a young mother with her child, surely you can recognize it in "the time is now’s" response – or are you the only one allowed to make your supposed witticism? On to the subject – I agree that the vapor can help people overcome their smoking habit – never liked smokers in restaurants and other public places BUT also think the state is going too far in demonizing it. If one is using vapor to stop smoking, wouldn’t it help that person to only vapor in lieu of smoking? By using it when ever and where ever instead of instead of a smoke aren’t you increasing the use of the tool? Not a smoker, so maybe I am off base, but seems to me that if a person has 12 smokes a day – and has to go outside for them, then as he replaces them one by one with the vapor he is weaning himself off them, but if he can 15 vapors a day, anytime and place, he might still go out side for his 12 smokes, so increasing his habits – not reducing the one. Now having said that – it is not the states place to "help" "cure" you of you legal addictions.

14. Ray (the real one) Reply

May 26, 2014 at 11:34 am

DR DR: Actually my car now smells like peach mango, I love it.

15. Lee Reply

May 27, 2014 at 10:19 am

Talking to smokers about quitting smoking is like talking to fat people, potheads, homosexuals, Yosemite Sam gun owners, pro-choice advocates, et al.: they will ALWAYS have an excuse to go on in their disgusting habits.

“My uncle Fred smoked a pack a day for 63 years and died at the age of 89. So there.”

16. Yoshi Reply

May 27, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I believe that ECigs should be allowed anywhere. I dont think that Elemenary schools should be allowed but Junior high and on should be. Thanks

17. PFLAG mom Reply

May 27, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Lee: There is nothing wrong with my teenager. There is something fundamentally off about YOU. Seek professional help.

18. Pink Reply

May 28, 2014 at 10:21 am

Interestingly enough Lee just proved that it is possible to insult several groups of people in two sentences or less…… judging from what you implied here Lee, I would add that it is also impossible to make an ignorant person smarter….. BTW I don’t smoke and never have, but I think the politicians goofed on this one.

19. grunt Reply

May 28, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Pink, you are wrong – it is to benefit the "boys next door" we the people have spoken – not sure what we said, but why can’t we vote on it? ;-)

20. Pink Reply

May 29, 2014 at 9:30 am

Careful Grunt, I know you are kidding but Lee won’t get it and the next thing you know he will be thanking you for your kind insight and telling you "it is much appreciated"…. LOL

21. Jen Reply

May 29, 2014 at 10:09 am

Is there anything or anyone that Lee ever likes? What a sad creature he is.

22. MrsQuit Reply

May 29, 2014 at 10:27 am

I applaud the Board of Supervisors! Next I hope to see the ads removed from television. The effects on youth and on recent quitters are clearly detrimental. Using a self-reinforcing nicotine delivery device to overcome an addiction to nicotine isn’t the best choice for those who want to become smoke-free. If you want all of the facts, here they are:

23. Ray (the real one) Reply