Deputies bust two local marijuana growing operations

Published on January 4, 2013 by Debbie Ramsey

Sheriff’s deputies discovered two marijuana growing operations in Fallbrook and Bonsall on the first day of 2013.

The first operation was discovered at about 9:30 a.m. on January 1 in the 31300 block of Eagles Perch Lane in Bonsall.

“A squatter was living in this million dollar home that was up for short sale,” said Sgt. Joe Montion.

Arrested was a man in his 30’s named Phillip Walek. Some 185 marijuana plants were confiscated at the site.

The second bust was made at approximately 11:56 a.m. that day in the 2100 block of Brooke Road in Fallbrook.

“Deputies responded to a medical call at the address and one of the occupants of the home was transported to the hospital as a result,” said Montion.

“While at the site, deputies came across a marijuana growing operation inside the home of about 100 plants,” said Montion. “No arrests have been made in this case yet. The investigation continues.”

19 Responses to Deputies bust two local marijuana growing operations

1. Cimarron Reply

January 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

A couple lessons can be learned here. Don’t grow pot in a house that is up for sale … Duh!

If you’re growing pot beyond the amount for personal medicinal use, don’t call 911.

2. A 53 Year old Grandma Reply

January 4, 2013 at 1:09 pm

What a set up. Wonder if he had water and electric in that million dollar house and exactly how long he was able to get away with it.

3. BonsallGayGuy Reply

January 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

There’s been continual drug related problems emanating from one particular house on Eagle’s Perch for years. And if it’s the house I’m thinking of, this has certainly not been the first drug related arrest on the property. It amazes me that the owner can still allow this sort of stuff to continue unabated w/o the DA’s Office ever getting involved. How long does it take to shut down a drughouse anyway? I mean it certainly doesn’t take years for any legitimate business to be shut down because of illegal conduct once it has been brought to the attention of the proper governmental authorities (police/DA/California Franchise Tax Board/County Department of Public Health/EPA).

4. SB Reply

January 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm

If it was legalized no one would be squatting in your million dollar home to grow it, and no money would have to be spent on law enforcement for such a trivial problem.

The War on Drugs is costly and, like fighting prohibition of alcohol was, it’s pretty much senseless. Take that money and put it into freely available drug rehab for those who want it. This would empty our expensive prison system of about half its prisoners.

5. Hugh Yonn Reply

January 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm

The prohibition of marijuana is a farce. We are a free people. It is time to start living the way our forefathers intended.

Law enforcement needs to re-direct its focus on crime…to those that are REAL crimes.

I was in Federal Prison for 5 years for a marijuana offense. No, it was not for simple possession. I was arrested aboard a Lockheed PV2 in Marianna, Florida…charged and convicted for conspiracy to import and distribute 12,000 pounds of marijuana.

As my years in prison rolled by, what I did see were armed bank robbers, coming and going…while I still sat there for marijuana. Most of the bank robbers only spent 17 to 24 months. But, I and my fellow ‘drug offenders,’…we stayed for YEARS.

I wrote about the escapades that led to my incarceration. I admit, I had a great time. No one was injured, no one was killed, firearms were not involved…there were no victims.

We were Americans…doing what Americans do best…living free.

Truly, it is time for this lunacy to end…it never should have begun.

My book: Shoulda Robbed a Bank

Tales of adventure in the marijuana trade…all fictitious, of course???

6. Hugh Yonn Reply

January 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm

All card-carrying members of the DEA need to read: Shoulda Robbed a Bank
    Here is one of its reviews:

5.0 out of 5 stars… If David Sedaris had written ‘Catcher in the Rye’..this would be it, June 30, 2012

Amazon Verified Purchase

This review is from: Shoulda Robbed a Bank (Kindle Edition)

I have never smoked pot in my life…nor do I ever care to.
    I read about this book in numerous Huffington Post comments. Thought I would read it because I know nothing about marijuana or the people involved with it. I am ecstatic that I did. Funny, Funny, Funny!!!
    The chapters are like short stories. Stories about unloading boats with helicopters, close encounters with law enforcement, traveling through the jungles of South America. The chapter about the author’s first time smoking marijuana made me feel like I was with him…coughing.
    All of the characters were just a group of loveable, nice guys and girls. Not what I had been raised to believe…hysterical maniacs high on pot bent on death and mayhem. They were nothing like that.
    If you have ever read any of David Sedaris’ books, and like them…you will love Shoulda Robbed a Bank.
    And the crazy things happening reminded me of Holden Caufield in ‘Catcher in the Rye’ and the way he staggered through life.
    The way the words are put together are like nothing I have ever heard. I am sure I will use many of the sayings found in this book just to dazzle my friends. A terrific read. I love this book.

7. Me Reply

January 4, 2013 at 3:38 pm

"Montion said Walek was arrested for cultivation of marijuana, possession of marijuana for sale, and possession of concentrated cannabis. The plants were being grown indoors."

To heck with the weed….how about an arrest for trespassing?

8. pette Reply

January 4, 2013 at 4:37 pm

good job!

9. fb resident Reply

January 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm

If mariguana gets legalized we can gain tax money instead of weisting our tax money to put people in jail for petty crime, helloooo….. amigos

10. Reality Checker Reply

January 5, 2013 at 11:41 am

@fb resident,
    You really think growers wont go deeper underground, or go more "black market" to keep from paying taxes? As soon as its taxable, there will be an even greater black market for weed. You think for a second somebody growing weed for sale is gonna WANT to register/license thier operation and pay tax on the sales? You must be high…amigo. LOL.

11. Pessimistic Reply

January 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Yo, fb resident, your comment reads like you have been "weisting (sic)" away your grey matter. If you truly believe that marijuana can successfully be taxed you need to smoke another doobie, bro. LMAO…

12. OLD FALLBROOK LOCAL Reply

January 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Hey, this is Fallbrook. We grow some darn fine herb here and have since the 50’s! I well remember going to Hollywood Disco cocaine parties in the 70’s with people finding out I was from Fallbrook and asking “If I had any.”

If pot is legalized there will be a huge underground economy. Not a good idea.

13. @reality checker Reply

January 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm

You really think weed should be illegal? Read a book.

14. irony Reply

January 6, 2013 at 12:43 am

weed is bad. burn it.

15. Reality Checker Reply

January 6, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I don’t give a crap if pot is legal or not, just it’s incredibly stupid to think it will be taxable because its so easy to grow at home. I never said it should be illegal. You assumed that and are putting words in my mouth. How about you read a book, maybe on the subject of ignorance.

16. kma Reply

January 6, 2013 at 8:18 pm

The squatter story seems odd, but both growers quite possibly could be LEGAL growers in CA under our laws and the SD Sheriff’s ignored CA laws….growing more than 99 plants IS taking a chance but since this article doesn’t mention FED involvement DEA), it seems our local sheriff’s dept is not following CA laws. NOT surprising at all!

17. Bradley Reply

January 6, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Legalizing pot is a bad idea:

1) IT WOULD STILL BE ILLEGAL. In July 2011, the federal government reaffirmed marijuana as a Schedule I substance; i.e., no accepted medical use and high abuse potential. Therefore, its possession and use remains a federal crime. Since federal law pre-empts state law, marijuana would still be illegal.
    2) MARIJUANA USE WOULD INCREASE. Marijuana use and its negative health, behavioral and society impacts will increase among both youth and adults. Experts project that the number of regular users would at least double and likely triple in the most vulnerable 12 – 25 age range.
    3) TREATMENT AND ADDICTION RATES WOULD RISE. Regular marijuana use can be addictive and lead to deteriorating behavior, particularly in young people. In 2009, 830,000 youth had marijuana addiction characteristics. Sixty-eight percent of youth in drug treatment are there for marijuana use.
    4) ADVERSE EFFECT ON THE EDUCATIONAL ENVIRONMENT. If marijuana was legalized, it is estimated that 20 – 30 percent of our school-aged children will become regular marijuana users. That will negatively affect their attendance, concentration, memory, brain development and thus academic achievement and participation in a positive educational setting.
    5) DEATHS FROM IMPAIRED DRIVING WOULD INCREASE. Marijuana use affects coordination, decision-making and perception which directly results in impaired driving. A few months ago, the results of a survey conducted by Liberty Mutual Insurance and Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) found that 19% of teen drivers said they have driven under the influence of marijuana. In fact, according to the survey, more teens are driving after smoking marijuana than after drinking, with only 13% of teens surveyed reporting they had driven after drinking.
    6) HARM TO EXISTING BUSINESSES AND THE ECONOMY. Substance abuse studies have shown that businesses and employers will experience greater rates of absenteeism, industrial accidents and tardiness as well as less productivity with a potential work force regularly using marijuana. This not only results in economic losses, but conflicts with the federal Drug Free Workplace and companies losing federal contracts. Businesses would be less likely to stay or move into a state where drug use related risks are high.
    7) BLINDSIDE ECONOMICS. At best, potential tax revenue generated by legalizing marijuana will cover only 15% of the collateral costs to our community such as: increased drug treatment, emergency room visits, crime, health care, and traffic crashes from marijuana use.
    8) MARIJUANA POSSESSION/USE IS NOT IMPACTING THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM. Proponents often make misleading statements about marijuana arrests and the jail population. A recent KBPS report found that inmates in our state

18. Preston Reply

January 7, 2013 at 8:37 am

If you want to learn something about he Pot industry spend a little time in North San Juan, Nevada County, California. I can tell you this, the growers there do not want it legalized, they make far to much the way it is now.
    Something that always amazed me was the amount of time Law Enforcement spent tracking down the large growers (using helicopters and all) when all they had to do was follow the mushroom mulch trucks (from the amendment companies) in the spring.
    Another thing I can tell you is Pot will destroy a community and the lives of the young people that grow up in a pot infested area and I didn’t have to read a book to learn that.

19. Alcohol related deaths Reply

January 13, 2013 at 2:39 am

The war on drugs is really stupid. Child molesters get only 5 years in prison, while people who are in possession of marijuana get far more time. How is that possibly fair? Child molesters damage innocent children for the rest of their lives. People who buy pot make it profitable. It’s their choice- to buy it or not. Smoke it or not. I don’t think anyone ever held a gun to someone’s head, forcing them to smoke weed.