Multiple vehicles involved in crash on Interstate 15; one driver from Bonsall

Published on January 25, 2013 by Debbie Ramsey

The California Highway Patrol has reported a complex series of collisions led to a fatal accident involving multiple vehicles yesterday, January 24, on Interstate 15 north of Poway. The driver of one of the vehicles is a Bonsall resident.

According to CHP media information officer Tommy Doerr, “On January 24 at approximately 10:10 p.m., two motorcycles were traveling northbound on Interstate 15 north of Poway at a high rate of speed. One motorcycle was traveling in the #4 lane of a six-lane freeway. The other motorcyclist, a 24-year-old male from Poway, was riding a 2003 Honda motorcycle in the #6 lane. The motorcyclists were passing other vehicles, at which time traffic was moving at approximately 60 to 70 miles per hour.”

Doerr continued, “A 54-year-old male from Valley Center was driving a 2003 Chevy Suburban, and traveling in the #5 lane at approximately 60 miles per hour, ahead of both motorcycles. A 22-year-old female was driving a 2010 Ford Fusion, and traveling in the #5 lane, behind both motorcycles. A 22-year-old male from Bonsall was driving a 2005 Toyota 4-Runner, and traveling in the #5 lane behind the Ford. Another vehicle, driven by a 34-year-old male was driving a 2004 Honda Civic, and traveling in the #4 lane, to the left of the Toyota.”

Doerr said the incident took place as follows, “For unknown reasons, as the 24-year-old motorcyclist was overtaking the Chevy Suburban, he allowed his motorcycle to collide into the rear of the Suburban. As a result of this collision, the motorcyclist was ejected from the motorcycle. The driver of the Ford Fusion observed this collision and quickly slowed her vehicle, to avoid hitting the motorcyclist. As the Fusion slowed, the driver of the Toyota 4-Runner was unable to slow in time, causing the 4-Runner to rear-end the Fusion. After this collision, the 4-Runner overturned onto its left side, into the #4 lane where the Honda Civic was located. As the 4-Runner entered the #4 lane, it struck the rear of the Civic, as the driver of the Civic began slowing for the initial collision. The first motorcyclist continued driving from the scene and continued northbound on Interstate 15. The 24-year-old motorcyclist was transported to the hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.”

Doerr said the 24-year-old motorcyclist was wearing a helmet and riding gear at the time of the collision.

“It is unknown if alcohol or drugs contributed to the cause of the collision; the collision remains under investigation,” said Doerr.

9 Responses to Multiple vehicles involved in crash on Interstate 15; one driver from Bonsall

1. 3 year home owner in Fallbrook. Reply

January 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Such a young man, very sad. My heart goes out to the family.

2. A 53 Year old Grandma Reply

January 25, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Its a wonder all those car drivers are ok after having to slam on brakes, and maneuver to try and miss the downed motorcycle.

Why don’t these guys get it on motorcycles! Go the speed limit, stay in a lane or you are probably going to die speeding, driving wrecklessly and cutting in and out of lanes. NO, I am NOT saying all riders are the same, but the ones that do drive like this have written their own death sentence and its horrible. He has caused his family and friends a horrible loss that they will suffer for a long time because of the "thrill".
    Not only causing his own death but it could have caused 10 other cars or more to crash and more injuries and deaths.
    If you want to drive like that there are race tracks for it, go use them, not our freeways.
    Our firemen and paramedics, police officers have to traumatized by scrapping your body parts up off the pavement. The other drivers who witnessed it all too.

Motorcycles expect cars to always be aware of them, make sure we dont hit them, cause we cant see them. Lord I keep an eye out for motorcycles always, but what good does it do when half of them are driving like this guy?
    Rip, and I hope your family starts to heal and the pain lessens more each day. :/

3. Veritas Reply

January 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm

To "53 Year Old Grandma"…..

As a motorcyclist myself I have two words: I agree.

4. OLD FALLBROOK LOCAL Reply

January 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm

This is why they call them "DONORCYCLES"

5. Veritas Reply

January 25, 2013 at 10:49 pm

"Donorcycle" seems a bit fatalistic for my tastes. I prefer to call my bike "Bob."

For what it’s worth I am registered as an organ donor (as everyone should be) though I can’t for the life of me imagine which of my 51 year old parts anyone would want.

6. Poway Neighbor Reply

January 26, 2013 at 8:18 am

I live in the same neighborhood in Poway as the young man who lost his life. He and his buddies are always racing around our quiet neighborhood at an extremely high speed. We all knew it was only a matter of time before they killed themselves or someone else. My heart aches for his family….

7. FLOW Reply

January 26, 2013 at 5:31 pm

^poway neighbor we may have loud bikes, but we are carefull, life has its risks, you can embrace them or fear them, reguardless they may consume you. but as we mourn our friend we dont need such negativities.

8. Reality Checker Reply

January 26, 2013 at 5:46 pm

My heart doesn’t ache one tiny bit for these selfish immature speed freaks. Why should it, they asked for it.

9. Christine Reply

January 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Whether two or four wheeled, all vehicles are dangerous. I drive the 101 every day and see the same thing over and over and over again – people driving too fast (80 – 90 mph), lane splitting by motorcyclists, tailgating, cell phone use, using drive time to put on make-up and tooth-brushing. The list goes on and on and on. Sure, another young person lost his life due to lack of regard for the rules of driving. I feel horrible for his family.

On the other hand, the 22-year old male in the 4-runner could have prevented THAT collision by not following the Fusion so closely. I see this day in and day out! I’ll be on the freeway doing 70 and some ……. behind me is so far up my tailpipe that there is NO WAY he/she would have time to stop – and I have no problem tapping my brakes! BACK OFF JERK! I was always taught that you keep between you and the other vehicle the distance of one car length per every 10 mph you’re traveling. I tend to leave more room if at all possible.

And as far as 70 vehicle pile-ups on the interstates, well, if the road conditions are that bad maybe one should stay off the road.